Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Nearing the end... Yeah SURE!

Since our last trial, we've made some big changes:

We've replaced the rear wheel with a smaller Mavic Crossmax SLR, which also utilises disk brakes, which will allow us to cover the full wheel with Mylar film, thus making a cheap light disk wheel.

We've swpped to a 100tooth chainring & added a chain guide. It just looks huge!

We made new handlebars, which allow us to rotate the arm, as well as lengthen/shorten it. We've also swapped to Deore shifters, onto a 34-12 cassette, giving us a 58 - 167" range, which will be good for about 90kmh at about 108 rpm.
We have a few more jobs to complete, but we are close to a finished bike. Unless of course you expect a perfectly finished paint job, no gaps anywhere,  all smooth jpons... Well, we are close to a 90% finished job.

Thursday, February 04, 2010

We went a riding

Finally, after several months of intermittent shed time, we managed to drag Whoops out & take her for quite a few laps, most of the time during which it remained upright!
Here is Mick rolling around the velodrome fully faired for the first time. It's a pity you can't see his ear to ear grin! The windscreens were removed, as it was getting late in the day & there was a fair bit of glare which was troublesome... see later photo

Here's Peter Heal Going around. He didn't look comfortable, but he stayed upright & gradually started relaxing, and getting faster. He was a breeze to launch... so steady & balanced.

I crossed the blue line on the track as a result of the glare, and suddenly found myself next to the fence, which was not great. I tried to bounce off it, but just succeeded in putting it down... again. Notice the white skid marks. Notice also that if I had not gone down, I would have neatly ridden into 2 bikes parked on the fence! No damage to me, and a litle graze for Whoops.
So, now that we've ridden Whoops, we will make a few changes &  try her again some time soon.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

More Subframe Lamination...

Tonight Mick & I bonded in the front subframe as well as finishing off the rear with a few more layers of Kevlar tape (which will save us in the event of sniper fire!). Last week we 'glassed in the rear mounts, both on the base & on the sides, with 2 layers of kevlar braided tape. This is amazing stuff. Nominally 50mm wide, you can stretch it down to 25mm, or gather it out to 80mm. No frayed edges. Fab stuff.
We also made sure the alignment was spot on, both side to side & longitudially.
We made sure we can fit a 100 tooth chain ring (so we can run up to 100kmh at 120 RPM at the pedals).
You'll notice the very back is open, but we'll be sealing that now the position of the rear wheel is finalised.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rear subframe part 2 & Front Subframe.

So, tonight we bonded in the top supports of the rear subframe, meaning the rear wheel is essentially now in it's final resting place. We ran a string line to make sure it's all nice & straight. And then we wait until it all cures, and then we'll glass in all the supports. We've left the back end open and will bond that back together with a few shaped spacers which will ensure the wheel runs without touching anything. No burst tyres for this dynamic duo!
I've also been doing a little work on the front subframe, results of which you can see here... I've bolted on a 77t chainring, which I made for a different PCD crankset. This is temporary, but gives us an idea how the chainline will run. I think we'll need to shorten the chain somewhat to ensure the derailleur is clear of the floor. I will also make a larger idler, to increase the radius of turn, which reduces friction I'm told. We're using an ergostem, which gives us the ability to move handlebars up, down, forward & backward, as required by each different sized rider. Setup should be less than 2 minutes, once the rider is in the cockpit.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Rear Subframe mounting Step 1
Tonight we bonded the rear subframe into the tub. On the first attempt we tried to attach the main pivot point of the rear triangle, plus the two top supports in the one batch of resin. Big mistake ! Because of the tight fit of the rear subframe the top supports prevented us from 'bedding' the main pivot point to the floor of the tub. We were convinced that we would run out of time aligning the rear wheel when the resin began going off well before we were straight. Take two, and we bonded the main pivot point, and have left the two top supports for another night. We are convinced that the rear subframe is aligned correctly, and this will mean some slight adjustments to the clearance of the top supports, at the time of bonding. Next session should see the rear subframe fully attached, and beginning of the front subframe mounting.

Monday, October 05, 2009

Fronk Fork Completed

Pete Heal, the CroMo Magician of Canberra, has been working hard on the fork for Whoops. This has now been finished. It looks odd from the front, but is perfect for the bike: tyre on the centre line of the fairing, minimal fork where the knees will be travelling up & down, hanger for a derailleur. Magnificent. Nice one Pete!

Sub Frame Photos

Great news from Canberra... Pete Heal has finished the front sub-frame & fork. These photos make the frame look a bit rough, but with a little time & an angle grinder & some spray paint, it'll look superb.
The Cranks & bottom bracket will be placed in the hole towards the front of the frame. These are ready to go, but we do need a biggish (80T) cog which will be one of the next jobs!