Thursday, July 13, 2006

Post DM

So, despite a lack of updates, lots has been happening. Much can be seen at Ben's blog:
www.trislednews.blogspot.com
Whoops has been ridden by Jeff during training, so I've not had time to ride or modify.
So, when she came home, I decided to make her more road ready... i cut a big hole in the floor, in front of the seat:















Then with considerable skill & patience (i.e. none at all) I cut a piece of 3mm neoprene to size & glued it over the hole. This wil allow me to put my feet down when stopping, but not dramatically reduce the aerodynamic shape of the fairing. The neoprene has actually reduced the overall hole size. If I turn the wheel too far, it'll just nudge the neoprene out of the way, without wrecking it or the tyre. A big hole would slow me down, allow too much wind into the bike, and increase any dust/debri coming in off the road.

My next job is to create a quick easy rear section of the fairing, and then make a neoprene cover to fit between the front & rear top fairing sections. Again, with the aim of allowing easy entry/exit from Whoops when being ridden on the road.


To do this, I'll be using the Burt Ratan mouldless construction method. My front template will be drawn using my back & head outline, and trying to create a smooth transition to the very narrow back end.
More as it happens.

No comments: